advert

Thursday 22 January 2015

That woke me up

Good afternoon!
This morning, I woke up after a late night wanting to just remain asleep. It was just before 9am and I'd woken up for the second time so I thought that I'd just grab my laptop and check my emails. After siphoning through a standard amount of rubbish, I saw one about a meeting that was taking place at 9:30am around 15 minutes walk away.

That woke me up...

So after panicking a little bit and checking the time repeatedly, I decided that I didn't have the time I'd probably need for a shower and to then be able to get down in time. I've had one or two mornings like this since being at University, but this meeting had slipped my mind completely. I feel there have been a number of times when I've written the word "oops" to you, this shall be another occasion.

The meeting is as a result of an initiative of the University to have "Course reps". These are people that are voted in by the students to act as the link between the students and the staff so opinions can be put across more effectively and it helps productive changes in the university. Near the start of the first semester, I gave a speech to our class of roughly 450 students as to why I should be elected as a course rep, needless to say that's the biggest audience I've stood up and spoken in front of since I've only ever performed in front of big audience either in a musical, orchestra, or solo musician. I guess this was a case of being thrown into the deep end as so to speak. I was one of 4 people that were selected and since then, there hasn't been too much that I have had to do, but today's meeting was really useful.

We have a special purple T-Shirt to wear to all things course rep-ly and I have to say, since picking it up, I can't say that it is the best colour for me. I guess they serve the purpose of standing out pretty well but that seems to be the only benefit of them, as well as being a good souvenir I guess. The meeting that we had is attended by lecturers as well as the course reps for the school of Psychology across all three years. I had the weird sensation of sitting in between my lecturers for Stress and Distress and Psychology as a Science, which is relatively scary as a prospect but I survived. I was surprised with myself that I went to one of them afterwards to give them some feedback on his module which seemed to be well received.

When I got back I put a message on the Facebook group that our Psychology class has to keep in touch with each other. I got some feedback from a guy about feeling spammed by emails so that might result in me passing a survey around to everyone, ironically discussing email spam through the medium of email but oh well!

Later today I've got another rehearsal for Fiddler on the roof and a weekly visit to the sponsor pub for a wide variety of free food afterwards which will no doubt be amusing. I'm quite curious as to the general reaction to the football team I came up with a friend so I'm sure you can appreciate I'm a little nervous in that regard! I'm also planning to have a session with Natasha tomorrow of making our own pizzas which will no doubt be interesting and have quite a lot of cheese all over the pizzas!

Anyway, I'll speak to you later after my rehearsal and tell you how it went. I hope you enjoyed catching up, it was nice to be able to tell you about the meeting.

Thanks for your time

Cheers
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment